Friday, January 18, 2008

Preamble to the Pacifica 50k

I am optimistic about this 50k. I've just come off of a great 50k in December as well as a fast 5 miler on the 1st. Yet I am still weary, despite the optimism. The problem is twofold...

1) I came down with a cold last week and the congestion is almost gone, but still present. An annoyance I know this will be tomorrow. After all, I ran the Woodside 50k at the end of a cold and was annoyed by a runny nose and a hacking cough.

2) This is by far the most elevation gain for any race I have done, and thus will slow me down drastically.

I know I will do well tomorrow as confidence has finally come after completing three 50ks. But will outside factors play a larger role and slow me down? That is what makes 50ks so fun. The ups and downs, both literally and figuratively.

I think I am ready for this roller coaster. If for nothing else than to see how I handle an elevation gain similar to the 50 miler I want to do in May.

No comments: