Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Great Training Run

This has been a weird month for me. I ran the most miles I had ever ran in a single week this month, 50.67 miles, and have ran the second most miles in a single month, coming in at around 100. Yet, interestingly enough, after the Overgrown Fatass Marathon I didn't run for 8 days straight. Go figure, and I still ran as much as I did.

And the last few days I've had trouble getting out there to run. On Monday I was going to run 10 miles, but got stuck at the office and delayed too long and lost my sunlight. Again on Tuesday I was going to do the 10 miler and I did a repeat of Monday. Which left me to today, but now I was getting close to the Napa Valley Marathon this weekend, so I wasn't sure how much I should run. I decided on 7 miles, but while I was running I was feeling good so I decided to do 8. I was finally able to get out there and it sure felt great, whether the three day break had anything to do with it I don't know.

I decided to maintain an 8:30 pace, the pace I felt I would try at Napa this weekend. I was amazed to feel as comfortable at this pace as I did. I never felt winded and my legs felt great.

8:35
8:09
8:32
8:23
8:30

At this point I was already feeling completely confident with this pace, a pace that now comes very easily, so I sped it up, and it wasn't until mile 6 that I started feeling a little winded as I pushed it harder.

8:09
8:06
8:04


I shot for and was happy to find that I was able to make each successive mile faster. I couldn't have asked for a better training run.

But then I realized I was close to breaking 100 miles for the month, something I've only done one other time before, so why not shoot for it? So when I went into the gym after the training run and I logged in another 3 miles, which put me at 97. Now I know I wasn't originally going to do any running from Thursday to Saturday before the marathon, but what could running another 3 hurt? So tomorrow's plan is to run another 3 at marathon pace tomorrow and come in at a 100 miles.

The year is starting off pretty amazing.

3 comments:

Bill Carter said...

Hi Brian

It sounds like you are making some great progress! And getting really fast in the process.

Best of luck to you in Napa this weekend and I am looking forward to your post race report. I don't want to jinx you, but it sounds like there might be a PR in your near future.

Nancy said...

Awesome pace!! I'm so jealous. I would love to be in Napa this weekend, even if not running, but doing the marathon would be cool. Best of luck!! :D

Brian Hawkinson said...

Thanks Bill, as always your words of encouragment do much in helping buoy the strange nervous doubts that I seem to get before each marathon.

Nancy, yes Napa will be great this weekend. High 60s to mid 70s with the yellow mustard flowers in full bloom. Should be a great run straight through the center of that valley from Calistoga to Napa. I've always loved visiting there, so I know I will love running there.