Saturday, August 18, 2007

Giddy Up Horsie!

Cause I'm back in the saddle again.

After a week long hiatus in order to rest the right foot I was finally able to put the running shoes on and hit the pavement. It started out feeling great, but I soon realized that it wasn't going to be my best running day. At mile 1 my Garmin beeped and it read 7:33. Way too fast for my first mile back. I tried to slow it down but I was already in trouble. My stomach was becoming unsettled. You see, I made the rookie mistake and went running on a full stomach.

My plan was originally to run before lunch, but I couldn't resist watching Federer vs. Hewitt, so I postponed it to the afternoon, when, unfortunately, it would also be hotter. That being said, I didn't want to wait any longer after lunch as I set out to run. This would ultimately be my downfall. As I reacted to my stomach I slowed to a walk. Then I resumed running, only to walk another 3 times. It has probably been over a year since I've had to walk that much for a 5k.

Oh well. I was just excited to finally get out there and begin running. Ultimately, as well, I had to get out there on my right foot and make sure the injury from the marathon wasn't anything too serious. Luckily I didn't feel any pain in my foot (although I didn't get too much downhill in, which was where it really bothered me last Saturday).

So all was not lost. Not the best run, but I was happy to find the foot seemingly healed. Now I will see how I run tomorrow. A 10k in Felton on a semi trail running course, which means some hills (most of the course is paved roads but I believe there will be a 300 foot elevation climb on one hill). With the temp cooler and my stomach not full, I can really take the measure of my right foot.

1 comment:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Great to hear you are out running again. Your legs and feet much have been very pleased with you!
Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com