Friday, August 31, 2007

Runnin' Through The Heat - Um, Everyone Else At Least

Ah, the heat of summer. The Bay Area is a bit lagged behind the rest of the country. We are only just now reaching into the mid 90's, which is approaching record levels (although we haven't broken any records yet). We've been blessed with a relatively cool summer for the most part, which is especially nice considering we are in a relatively dry area. That being said, I've avoided running, for the most part, in the evenings here recently because of the heat. I think, "Why do I want to try and run through that?" Blah, no thanks, I'll take a few miles on the treadmill and call it a day.

This isn't to say that I can't nor won't run on a hot day. I have and will in the future, no doubt. But I would rather not, so I don't.

This is why I admire all you troopers out there slogging through the heat and humidity in order to stay on track with your training schedule. Running in heat that I am hiding from in an air conditioned office and car (unfortunately no AC in the house), knowing that you will become a better runner because of it.

Not me says the brown cow. I'll stay inside for a few weeks until the temp drops down again. I'll dream of cooler days when running hard is barely enough to fend off the cool air. And while I dream of the cooler days to come I will most certainly admire, almost envy, the tenacity you all have in pushing through that heat.

No comments: